Friday, January 18, 2008

Four Weeks' Notice

I can finally reveal what was stressing me out last weekend. The big news is I've accepted a new job at Andesa Services in Allentown, PA. The reason I stressed so much about it is, for all the benefits it will offer (and there are many), Validus may be on the cusp of breaking out and succeeding. I've put a lot of work into it in the last two years, and I wanted to make sure that didn't go to waste.

After many conversations with folks here at Validus, discussions with Anne, and much soul-searching and ice cream, I decided it was best to move on.

I'm really looking forward to the new job. It will be interesting going back to an East Coast company after being in the Silicon Valley for 11 years. So I've compiled a list of ways you can tell you work for a Silicon Valley company.

How to tell you work at a Valley Company:
  • Work whatever hours you want, as long as you meet deadlines
  • Vacation days are on the honor system
  • Your first task at work is to build your workstation
  • Shoes and socks are optional.
  • If your shirt has a collar, you're a manager
  • Being at a company 3 years qualifies you as an "old-timer"
  • Nerf Wars
  • All-nighters
  • Foosball, ping pong, pool, arcade games, LAN parties - during work hours
  • Massive hiring, followed almost instantly by massive layoffs
  • Beer in the fridge
  • Everybody's a millionaire - on paper
Any others you can think of?

No comments: